Thursday, April 30, 2009

Williamsburg and Hampton Roads

I have nothing to show for artwork today, but I'm posting some shots from a trip my friend Ilse and I took to Williamsburg a few weeks ago. We went to get reference material for more paintings, and I'm not sure what I'm going to use, but we got so many great shots its hard to choose. If you've never been there, try to plan a trip. In fact, if you plan a week or more in the Hampton Roads area, you'll fill up every day with trips to Jamestown, Yorktown, Williamsburg ( I think you need at least two days there to see it all), Busch Gardens, Norfolk and Virginia Beach. 

Lots of families rent or make costumes for their children to wear, which must make the children feel like they are really there in 1780. It's such an educational place for everyone. I learn something every time I go. And the best part for me, a Virginia resident who lives only a half hour away, is that I can go and browse around all of the outdoor areas for free! 



It's really fun to interact with all of the costumed Revolutionary characters. Also, there's a moving outdoor drama which takes place on the main street area each afternoon.

Carriages, carts, and market wagons drive all around the streets. No cars, though!

2 comments:

L.Holm said...

What fun! really lovely shots. I haven't been since I was a kid.

Dean Grey said...

Deborah!

This looks educational and fun at the same time!

Thanks for sharing your pictures with us!

-Dean