Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Yee Haw!!

This is the crab I carved last weekend, but I can't get a good print. I think the problem is that I'm printing with paint instead of printing ink and the block is absorbing the paint. Blue Skies is having a show in June where everyone submits work outside her usual area. So I'd like to print maybe four crabs and treat them all with different mediums. I think it will be fun.


This has been one of those rare days when you feel euphoric for no reason and everything magically falls into place. I felt great today and had loads of energy. I got alot done so I'll show you. First, I finished 'Be My Fortune Cookie'.

Then I got things organized ( well, almost) to go to the Art and Soul Retreat on Thursday. I'm very excited about going. I've never been but I heard it's great. I think they are going to do retreats in three or four cities this year, and luckily one of them is Hampton. One of the things I had to get ready is a trade item. They say that you can get some really neat little stuff signed by various artists and craftspeople. So I made bookmarks. Well. It was all I could think of, guys. 
'

And then they sent us this anemic fish dish, so I filled mine in so it actually looks like a 3D fish instead of a concave thing. Then I painted it all with really cool metallic and iridescent paints. You should see it in different lights. Really cool. I think they auction off everyone's fish one night. 

I jumped on the chance to go to this because I need a kick start to my imagination. I mean, I know I can draw. If I look at something, I can draw it. But I have to see something. I can't just sit down and draw a chair, a person, a house, etc. without looking at one. So these classes sound like they'll introduce new ways of dealing with subject matter, and I'll learn some new skills using new materials. And best of all...the chance to meet artists from all over the place.



.
'Be My Fortune Cookie'
11x14

1 comment:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Your making me want to carve a block ;)