Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Work Behind the Scenes

Usually I show work that is almost complete, or is complete. But there is a lot of work behind the scenes that never shows. For instance, today I set up a still life, making sure the lighting was right and the items were in a pleasing position. Then I took thirty eight photos from different angles and heights. After that, I downloaded the images to my computer, chose the ones I liked and made changes such as straightening, cropping, and adjusting the hues and saturation. After that I printed the photos, traced the photo on a light box, and transferred the image to my board by tracing over the drawing. Then I could begin the fun part, actually using color to build the painting. This is how far I got after working since ten this morning with a few hours off to do other things. You can see I've only blocked some color in with my Neocolors.

1 comment:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Hi Deborah, I think your metamorphosis is going well. I really like your work. You have a variety of artistic expression. Nothing like the 50's to kick us off our butts and get us to focus on the most meaningful and fun part of ourselves.
You go.