Sunday, March 15, 2009

Progress on the Self Portrait

Well, geez, finally some progress on the self portrait that has to be finished in two weeks, not to mention the other piece I haven't even started yet. It's in my head, just not on paper. This self portrait is the most honest piece I've ever done. If you know me, you have seen me use the butterfly image since I was shot. My daughter gave me a magnet that says, "Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly." In those dark, early days I had a window ornament, a plant ornament and a banner, that all used the butterfly theme. I've used a robin because we usually see them and associate them with spring. So, now, almost six years after I was paralyzed, I feel like the spring of my new life is beginning. And art is central to that. Oh, keep your fingers crossed that I can execute the hands sufficiently. Hands are my weak point. When I start to draw hands, of course I think of Holly Bedrosian, a master at realistically painting, drawing, fingers and hands doing all sorts of things. You should check out the work on her blog. It will amaze you.

4 comments:

hbedrosian said...

That's so nice of you to mention me, Deborah! Your self-portrait is looking great so far - very powerful message, too!

Paula Villanova said...

Deb...I have no doubt that you will draw the hands with great skill, but if you are less than confident about it, maybe someone you know will be a model for you for a couple of days until you feel better about it. This self portrait is an important piece and is developing nicely.

butterfly woman said...

Hi Deborah,
I feel this piece as very emotional and symbolic with robin and butterfly. Thank you for explaining the deeper meaning of this painting. I too struggle with hands, I just painted a squirrel and its paws seemed difficult to render. I tried to do it as shapes and values. Still, a challenge.
Will be interesting to follow your process on this piece, which has so much meaning for you.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Holly, Paula, and Bev, I actually had a friend pose for hand photos so I have the references, I just need to tell myself I can do it. (And Bev, I doubt the squirrel posed for references)