Thursday, February 26, 2009

Cats, Self Portrait, and Reflecting on Reflections



Almost every day I glance at my computer ( and look who is always there, waiting for a scratch under the chin) and remember that I should post but I always want to wait until I have something bordering on  perfect to show you. You know how that is with us, our own worst critics. So today, here I am. And I'm here with my far from perfect work, but at least I've been real busy and I have a lot of things half finished.

These are two of the four cat paintings I hope to have finished by tomorrow so I can hang them in the gallery.  The one on the left still needs the butterfly to be done, but that's just a fifteen minute job.  They are both on deep gallery wrap 6x6 canvases. The one I'm working on now will have a dragonfly above the cat's head. These are just fun for me. We'll see if they sell.


 Now, to me, this one is important! This is one of the two I'll submit to the CPSA show, and I hope I get in this year. Please keep your fingers crossed for me. This  is a self portrait and I can't tell you much about it, you'll have to hang in there with me and keep checking. I will say those are my hands in front of me. Sorry it's so blurry, it was on my mantle and I couldn't get a steady shot. 

So, speaking of reflecting.....if you read my last post you'll know that I was advised to never use the reflection idea again. Well, here is another one that is hanging in my dining room, and I like it. Yes, I like it! My dining room table has a black granite top and the reflections in it are beautiful, so I just had to paint some. 

Thanks for coming back to see what I'm doing. Believe me, I spend way too much time looking at my favorite blogs. I don't always comment, but I'm there. Don't we have a great little world here, being able to enjoy each others' work and having the ability to communicate about art?

2 comments:

Uta said...

Oh Deborah,
When I first looked through your work your reflections were my favourites. I'm not just saying that to be supportive. I really enjoyed them so much and wanted to try one myself. I don't understand that critique at all so what does that say about me. Remind me never to have my work critiqued. Keep painting the reflections I say!!!

Paula Villanova said...

Yes...it IS a great little world we have here...I LOVE that we can access so much cool art with a couple of clicks...AND share our thoughts! BTW, LOVE the cats...they HAVE to sell! Looking forward to seeing the final self portrait! (and for what it's worth, I like the reflections too...just my opinion!)